Junior Academy and Young Athlete Development
This is primarily for 8 to 16 year olds and includes all-round development of athletics skills in the various disciplines. There is provision for young athletes from the age of 5 upwards at Bristol Academy of Sport and for young athletes in school years 4, 5 and 6 at Whitehall Junior Academy.
The timetable for the Junior Academy and Associated Activities at Whitehall is as follows:
Lead coaches: Joy Bray (Bristol Academy of Sport); Dean Garrett (Whitehall Junior Academy); Hilary Nash (Whitehall); Paul Owen (girls endurance and middle-distance 11-18), Ali Hurford (boys endurance and middle-distance 10-13) and Dave Bedwell (boys endurance and middle distance 14-18).
- Bristol Academy of Sport 5.30-7 pm (reception to school year 6, minimum age 5) and 6.45-8.30pm (year 7 upwards) at South Gloucestershire and Stroud College WISE Campus/Bristol Academy of Sport. Lead Coach – Joy Bray. For further details see the flyer at http://www.bristolacademyofsport.co.uk/athletics-children-community/ .
- Whitehall Junior Athletics Academy. 6.00 pm at Whitehall Athletics Arena with Head Coach Dean Garrett leading multi-event coaching for athletes in school years 4 to 6 – this can be an alternative to or additional to the Wednesday Whitehall Junior Academy Sessions.
- Girls’ Endurance Group – Under-17, Under-15 and Under-13 (experienced). 6.15pm at Whitehall Athletics Arena. Lead Coach – Paul Owen.
- Under-11 and Under-13 Beginners Endurance Group. 6.00 pm at Whitehall Athletics Arena with lead coach Keith Brackstone – this group is aimed at getting novices started and will feed under-13 girls in to Paul Owen‘s Group and under-13 boys in to Alison Hurford’s Group when they are ready. The group will also aim to prepare young athletes for competition in local cross-country races.
- Young Athletes Sprints Group (Secondary School age). Dean Garrett and John Jackson coach a Young Athletes Sprints Group from 7 p.m. onwards.
- Young Athletes Horizontal Jumps Group. Jason Stockwell and Eugene Hechevarria coach a young athletes long and triple jump group from 6.30 p.m. onwards.
- Young Athletes Throws Group. Hilary Nash leads a Young Athletes throws group from 7.00 p.m. onwards – please contact him if you would like to become part of this group.
- Junior Athletics Academy 6.15 pm at Whitehall Athletics Arena (aimed at School years 4 to 6 inclusive) – term-time mainly – please check the web-site for dates when sessions are held. Lead Coach – Dean Garrett supported by Jason Stockwell and Hilary Nash plus specialist coaches on a sessional basis.
- New Indoor Sports Hall Training Programme at Orchard School, Horfield starts Wednesday 9th September 6pm-7.30pm for 11-16 year olds coached by Lloyd Rice, Peter Watson and Will Stephens.
- Young Athlete Specific Coaching 7.15 pm at Whitehall Athletics Arena (aimed at school years 7 and upwards). Lead Coach – Dean Garrett supported by John Jackson, Jason Stockwell and Hilary Nash.
- Throws Group. Coach Murray Grant leads throws sessions on a Wednesday night from 5.00 p.m. onwards. Please ask at the Reception Desk if you would like to join in.
- Girls’ Endurance Group 10am at Ashton Court (meet by Golf Club Cafe) . Lead Coach – Dave Taylor.
- Athletics session for primary aged children doing run, jump and throw. 10-11am at Whitehall track. Lead Coach – Nick Harris
- Athletics session for secondary aged children doing technical work including strength and conditioning. Sessions will rotate between Speed, Speed Endurance and Tempo to cover all aspects of sprinting. 11am-12:30 at Whitehall track. Lead Coach – Nick Harris