At the 2009 Annual General Meeting of Great Western Runners it was agreed that the Club would set up a fund called The Arthur Dagger Memorial Fund (ADMF) in memory of Arthur Dagger who died in 2008. He was one of the longest standing members of Great Western Runners, a stalwart who had been on the club’s committee for many years and who worked tirelessly for more than a quarter of a century on behalf of the running community in the Bristol area. He especially had a track record in supporting young people in their running.
The Fund’s Mission is to support young people in Avon to develop their talents and improve their competitive running. Its objectives are to:
- Build on young people’s participation and enjoyment of running.
- Ensure young people receive the best teaching, coaching and resources possible and have the chance to progress if they show talent.
- Help young people to live healthy and active lives and to be the best they can be in their chosen event.
- Support young people whose financial disadvantages may restrict their potential to fulfil their talents.
Applications from people who seek small grants from the fund are now welcome for consideration, based on the criteria listed below:
- They should be aged between 13 & 23
- They must live in Avon area
- They should be from the young person themselves
- They should still be in full time, or further / higher, education or training
- They should be supported by a teacher, running club or coach
- If under 17, a parent/guardian’s support for the application is needed
An application form asks applicants:
- To say something about themselves, especially their athletic achievements, what they hope for in the future, and any other sporting or academic ambitions.
- How much money are they applying for.
- Whether any matching funding has been applied for.
- What they’ll spend it on? (e.g. training, travel, specialist equipment, coaching, etc).
Grants will be available for sums up to £250 and can be applied for to be spent on a range of needs such as training, travel, specialist equipment and coaching.
Applications for 2014 ADMF grants are now open at:
and must be submitted before 28th February 2014.