Thirteen Bristol & West runners competed in the Crook Peak Cake Race on Wednesday evening (21st August 2013), in a record field of 97. This is a B category fell race, with almost 800 feet of ascent over the 3 mile course. The race is in a beautiful setting with great views over the Somerset Levels and Bristol Channel. As the race starts part way up the hill we had time to admire the views before the off (apart from Chris Harvey, who was late arriving and got a lift to the start with the race starter!).
From the start, Bristol and West vests were at the front of the field, with Duncan Birtwistle (who registered under his other club Harrogate but ran in his B&W vest) in the lead. The course climbs for almost a mile from the start which spreads out the field quickly, only for it to bunch up again as runners wait to scramble down the only safe route down the rocks at the top of the hill. The leaders were already clear at this point, and after another steep climb, a visit to the trig point and a run along the ridge, arrived at the very steep downhill finish to record a Bristol 1, 2, 3, with Duncan maintaining his lead (despite a short detour), quickly followed by Jarlath McKenna and Dan Randell. Other highlights include Alison Engledew first FV50, Andy Malloy first MV40, Gary Jennings’ daredevil race for the line which meant he took another 100 metres to actually stop, and Vanessa Redmond and Debbie Riddiford crossing the line in unison.
The reason it is called a cake race is, of course, because the first male and female finisher each receive a large chocolate cake as their prize. This is not allowed to leave the pub (race HQ) and must be shared with the other runners, which Duncan and first lady Sally Johnson (Nailsea) duly did, adding to the already convivial atmosphere. The race also raised £500 for Haematology research at Southmead Hospital.
For the full results and photographs see the Cook Peak Cake Race Facebook page. Bristol & West finishers listed below.
01. 20.17 Duncan Birtwistle (Harrogate Harriers) M
02. 20.28 Jarlath McKenna (Bristol & West AC) M
03. 20.48 Daniel Randell (Bristol & West AC) M
09. 21.29 Andrew Malloy (Bristol & West AC) MV40
13. 22.43 Paul Jefferson (Bristol & West AC) M
20. 23.27 Colin Traer (Bristol & West AC) M
40. 25.02 Chris Harvey (Bristol & West AC) M
44. 25.14 Gary Jennings (Bristol & West AC) MV50
54. 26.17 Dave Engledew (Bristol & West AC) MV50
77. 31.27 Alison Engledew (Bristol & West AC) LV50
84. 33.22 Paul Burgess (Bristol & West AC) MV50
94. 38.09 Debbie Riddiford (Bristol & West AC) LV50
94. 38.09 Vanessa Redmond (Bristol & West AC) LV50
Andy Malloy Reports