Following the predicted overnight snow and a late afternoon course inspection it has been decided to call off tomorrow’s handicap primarily on safety grounds. While the course is just about runnable – it certainly would have been this morning on the virgin snow – the ground is frozen rock hard underneath the snow and has become very rutted and craggy with the only prospect that this will worsen further overnight. It would not have been easy marking the course, while we could not forgive ourselves if anyone incurred a niggling injury with the major races after Christmas in mind.
The other problem that had to be considered was whether those coming from outside the area would be able to make it or would it even be sensible to consider travelling, such is the state of most of the minor roads.
However, all is not lost as we have decided to try again on the New Year weekend: that is Sunday 2nd January 2011 when it will act as a competitive sharpener for the following weekend’s South West cross-countrty championships. The organisation will be exactly the same, with the race at 11am and the social get-together and presentation afterwards at the Hurford’s house in Clifton Village. If any of those who had entered cannot make it please let Mike Down know, while anyone who was unavailable this weekend will be more than welcome. Remember there is no entry fee – you just have to bring a small prize – and all Mike needs to know is a rough estimate of your current 5K time.